Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm Thirsty Anyway

"Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way." (1Peter 4:2- the message)

That's one way to think of our suffering, not suffering from physical ailments but suffering from disappointments, discouragements, and frustrations. Looking back I can definitely say that I suffered because I wanted my own way and when I didn't get it, I ended up disappointed, discouraged and frustrated. Mostly I just wanted a life that was problem free. Of course I knew that life has problems, but the way I acted, you could say that I indeed expected life to be smooth sailing. And when the storm came, I didn't trust, I got angry and disappointed. In Max Lucado's book, "Come Thirsty" he describes how our need for God comes from the desert and not the garden. Our thirst, which is really trying to live life our own way, is meant to direct us to the flowing water that only Christ can give us. When we try to live life our own way, we end up empty, frustrated, angry, and disappointed. So does that mean that if we live life God's way that life will be smooth sailing? "So if you find life difficult because you're doing what God said, take it in stride. Trust Him. He knows what he's doing, and he'll keep on doing it. If you're abused because of Christ, count yourself fortunate. It's the Spirit of God and his glory in you that brought you to the notice of others..." (1Peter 4:14,19 the message). So if life is basically hard whether we live for God or not, why should I live for God then?

I like how Max Lucado describes it: He and his wife went on a sailing voyage with some friends. His friend Milt was the captain, a real pro in sailing. The day started out real nice. Lots of sun for tanning, lazing around, and enjoyed God's creation. But then came the storm. It was a big one too. He writes, "Tanning stopped. Napping ceased. Eyes turned first to the thunderclouds, then to the captain. We looked to Milt. He was deliberate and decisive. He told some people where to sit, other what to do, and all of us to hang on. And we did what he said. Why? We knew he knew best. No one else knew the difference between starboard and stern. Only Milt did. We trusted him. We knew he knew. And we knew we didn't...." The reason we live God's way is because God knows life better than we do. He knows why sin is so bad for us, and what the consequences are. He knows the way to true and joyful life. It doesn't mean that life is going to be smooth sailing because we will suffer when we decide to turn our life to His care. Why? Because of what this says, "Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way." (1Peter 4:2- the message). It isn't easy to let go of our own way, and when we do you bet there is going to be some strain and effort. And let us not forget also that storms come into our life regardless of where we stand, only lets hope that we are standing on the rock and not on sinking sand! Sometimes life throws us a curve ball, and it is up to us on how we will respond to that. For too long I reacted, not responded. It is unfair of me to accept the good things from God and sing with joy, and then fight the bad things from God and become indifferent. Submitting to God's will is not an act of defeat, or crushing your self-esteem. Accepting the problems in your life and learning to trust God while facing them is the greatest act of faith. Sometimes we have to wait and see what the solution is, sometimes we have to take responsibility and make amends for what we did wrong, and sometimes it is beyond our control and all we can do is keep going, and keep trusting.

One of my favorite songs, "Bring On The Rain" sings about how life can be pretty hard, but you know, we don't have to let certain situations (problems) get us down, or defeat us. So I end this post with those lyrics. Really think about them when you read them.

nother day has almost come and gone
Can't imagine what else could wrong
Sometimes I'd like to hide away somewhere and lock the door
A single battle lost but not the war ('cause)

Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

It's almost like the hard times circle 'round
A couple drops and they all start coming down
Yeah, I might feel defeated,
I might hang my head
I might be barely breathing - but I'm not dead

Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

I'm not gonna let it get me down
I'm not gonna cry
And I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight

No comments: