Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The greatest gifts...

Its that time of year again: Shopping, parties, baking, wrapping, unwrapping; and so I have been thinking a lot about gifts lately. It just seems to me that no matter how much I say this season is not about presents, it still seems to be the main focus. So I began to think about the greatest gift of all; Jesus Christ. I have yet to fully grasp the meaning of it all and what I am supposed to do with such a precious gift. Its true that this gift offers me eternal life. (John 3:16) But I happen to believe that this gift offers way more than that, as if that were even possible. But as I reflect back on my journey it is clear to me that this gift has given me much more than eternal life; It has given me, me! Everyday I learn more about myself as walk this journey of faith. Not all of it is pretty but over all I like what I am finding. Sure I made some pretty big mistakes, and sure I have done some pretty bad things, but the gift of the cross reminds me that I am forgiven, and not only forgiven but I have another chance to make it right. The gift of the cross allows me to make mistakes, not to be conformed into a perfect, rigid human being, but to be a human being who is me! In other words, the greatest gift God has given us through Jesus is the permission to be ourselves. We don't have to pretend to be nothing more or nothing less. We don't have to pretend that we have all the answers, or that we are sinless or perfect. We don't have to pretend that we don't think bad thoughts, or that we struggle like everybody else. I don't have to watch everything I do, I just need to be me.

If anything, I am learning that trying to be someone else, (conformity) is an empty, burdensome way to live. Sure being myself is risky. It means I will risk making mistakes, I risk being rejected and it means the risk of independence. And isn't that what God wants for us-- Free Will! There is a lot of fear to live life independently from all that is around us. And it is even riskier when you attend a church, where conformity is the norm. But to take a leap of faith and say, "I am done pretending." and start living your own life that glorifies God in your own way is exactly why Jesus died. Jesus didn't die just so we can live forever in heaven, but so that we may live right here right now. And not just live a life of mediocrity, or conformity, but a life full all the things He showed us- kindness, joy, love, peace, discipline, goodness, a life full of giving, full of risk and adventure. Jesus didn't die so that we might have religion. Jesus didn't die so that we may be successful in our careers. Jesus didn't die so that we may have knowledge of the scriptures. Jesus didn't die so that we go around pretending we are someone we are not, (which is my definition of a hypocrite whether you are religious or not). Jesus died FOR me and FOR you to have live and have it ABUNDANTLY! You can't live life if you are hiding, running, pretending, conforming, lying, settling for less. You are living life when you deny those things and take that leap of faith and start walking on the water. Sure you may loose focus and start drowning, but He is always there to lend a hand when you need it.

The greatest gift IS Jesus himself. He offers so much more to us, if we but risk and be ourselves. But I find nothing more liberating than learning to be me and glorifying God in all I do, even if I make mistakes, even if I am rejected, even if at times I feel all alone. But the more I see myself as an individual hand crafted by God, unique in every aspect, I know that God wants nothing more from me than just me. And so the greatest gift I can give God--ME!

No comments: